Thursday, October 14, 2010

Boy With Hammer


I was a difficult child. I was determined and self-centered and would not take direction well. My first year in school I would not submit to naps when all the other kids were told to lay down and nap. (Yes, that was a different era.) In reviewing my early reports from school, I discovered the comment, by the frustrated teacher, "Does not play well with others."

I was always busy building things. I made more forts than I can possibly remember. I had forts in trees, forts in canyons, forts underground, forts with several floors, forts with rooms too small for adults to enter, and forts made in the house out of furniture (which my mom did not really appreciate.) Some people are born with a silver spoon in their mouth. I was born with a hammer in my hand. People soon realized that it was not a good idea to try to take away my hammer.

I was also a dedicated recycler. I would spend days with my hammer straightening bent nails. I mean, why buy nails when there are plenty of good nails around that just need to be repaired? Buckets of nails, all sorted according to their size and purpose. There was also lots of good wood available once the nails were removed. I never bought anything. Everything is there, all you have to do is pick it up. My favorite day was trash collection day. I would get up early and go out into the neighborhood to see what the trash fairies had brought me. Christmas every week!

I haven't changed much in 60 years.

The only difference today is that the hammer is a veneer hammer.

No comments: